Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Castaway Cay 5K!

We are home and settling in from an amazing 5 night Disney Cruise on the Disney Magic! I will try to blog about a handful of experiences that were particularly fun and that you can do while you are on your Disney Cruise! The first one of these is the Castaway Cay 5k. 

Castaway Cay is Disney's island in the Bahamas that you visit on my Disney Cruise Line trips. I will write all about it in another post, but the short of it is that it is pretty much the perfect beach. There are ton of things you can do (or nothing at all of course!). The 5k is among a long list of possible activities on that day. Because I have run many Disney races over the years, I knew I had to get this one in! 

The 5k is included as a part of your cruise if you choose to do it. On the day you board, just head to guest services on the ship and tell them that you want to run it. They will sign you up and give you a ticket. On your Castaway Cay day, you will bring that ticket to the assigned location and trade it in for a bib number. 

Then, they went over the route. Because the island is pretty small, there is some doubling up on the course. They were very clear about that in the introduction, though, so it was easy enough to follow.


After going over all of the information on the ship, we headed off and walked over to the starting line. They had the kids club on the island open, so if you wanted to drop off your kids so you can run without worry, they sent those folks off first. George was in a cast from an injury, but I hope the next time we are on CC, we can both run the 5k!

Before we got started, I had to take a quick selfie with this cute Olaf who was enjoying some beach time :-)



Everyone lines up at the start and there is a little box to dump your things if you want. All in all, this is a really low key affair. The director said, "Make sure you look at the clock for your time. If you ask me the time afterwards, I'll say 15 minutes!" So, there is a clock, but there are no results, which is FINE by me!

Here's the fancy start line!


A large part of the race is on the bike path, which thankfully has shade. Even in December, this was H-O-T hot. Like really hot. As in, I might have been running on the surface of the sun. I mean, it is in the Bahamas, so hot is to be expected. They have a water station set up, and you go by it 4 glorious times. (Did I mention it's a little toasty?)


And the finish line! It's the back side of the start line! Note that if they aren't sharing the time, I'm not either! It was so fun, and I am glad I did it. It might be my slowest 5k in history though! But who cares! You're on a Disney Cruise, and you ran a 5k, so you are clearly winning at all things if you find yourself at this finish line!


Let's zoom in on that cute medal! I just love it!


I met George and the boys after the race and had to get a quick shot with Minnie and the adorable painted rocks before we started our super fun beach day!


If you find yourself on a Disney Cruise at Castaway Cay, and are considering running the 5k, I say Go For It! It was a fun way to start the day, and I hope to do it again soon!

If you want help planning your Disney Cruise--send me an email at kacietravelplanner@gmail.com :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment